Advisory Group Releases Workforce Information Agenda
The Workforce Information Advisory Council (WIAC), an official 15-member body of labor market information (LMI) experts representing national, state, and local data users and producers, recently published their vision of challenges and opportunities for strengthening LMI.
The full report provides general background, as well as details on the following opportunities:
- Aligning education and workforce training with industry needs;
- Informing career decisions of students and workers;
- Determining the effectiveness of workforce training and education programs;
- Understanding the characteristics of the workforce;
- Making workforce and LMI more accessible and relevant to end users; and,
- Enhancing government data sharing, collaboration, and funding among statistical agencies.
The three publications will be useful for introducing wider audiences to the importance of LMI, and for engaging workforce stakeholders in actions to improve and leverage the system to strengthen the economy.
In operation since 2016, the WIAC works under the mandate of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), and will continue to deliberate and advise the Secretary of Labor.